Plant C2C CAL – Cactus C2C Square Free Crochet Pattern
New year, new CAL! Who’s ready to start a new C2C CAL with me here on my blog? I know I am, because I’ve been thinking about this CAL since I asked a last month on IG what this year’s blanket theme should be. Plants won out, so that’s how we got this month – the C2C Cactus Afghan Square!
I decided I wanted this month’s square to be a cactus because, let’s face it, this last year has been more than hard for everyone. We’re all just trying to get along, do our best, and keep our chins up… kinda like a cactus? I guess? I honestly don’t know, because I’m not good with plants but I did think as a metaphor a cactus plant would make a great way to start 2021.
So this year’s CAL is going to be plants, well plants and flowers. I want to make it all the squares colorful, fun, and bright (just like many of my patterns these days). I already have an idea for next month, in the form of a lovey rose. I hope that you all will like it! I’m pretty excited about this project, it’s is going to be so fun this year.
Check out last year’s 2020’s C2C Coffee CAL, 2019’s Coffee Tapestry Squares, and the 2018’s Tapestry Afghan Squares.
I hope you all are healthy and happy and like this new design. Please be kind to one and other, wear your masks, wash your hands, and be safe friends!
Please note: I was provided the yarn for this pattern by Lion Brand Yarn for the purposes of making this design, without compensation. I wasn’t provided the yarn with the expectations of positive or negative reviews but I did enjoy using this yarn, I’ve used it many times and it’s always a great worsted acrylic yarn.
This post is linked to the Loop Scoop #7
(this post contains affiliate links)
If you appreciate my weekly patterns I hope you’d consider purchasing an ad-free pdf of this pattern in my Ravelry shop.
Thank you to all my patrons on Patreon!
12 squares (one each month)
12″ x 12″
New square will be released on the 4th Tuesday of each month
Graphs will be free on my blog (although there will be pdfs available for purchase for the written instructions)
Use the tag # DivineDebrisC2CPlantCAL or #DivineDebris so I can see the projects – I might share them on my social media
Intermediate (must know how to C2C)
- US H (5.00 mm) crochet hook
- I used this Furls Streamline hook
- Size #4/ worsted/ medium weight yarn
- 4 colors (with optional 5th)
- I used Vanna’s Choice by Lion Brand Yarn
- 2.73 oz total/ 132 yds
- Specifics in the Notes
- Notions: needle, measuring tape, scissors
- Pom pom maker (optional)
- 5 squares x 5 rows = 4” (blocked)
- As is industry standard, this pattern is just a free graph and not written instructions but you can purchase the pattern for free in my Ravelry shop.
- This is a C2C pattern worked from the bottom right corner to the top left corner.
- This pattern is a square, so you don’t have to worry about increasing on one side and decreasing on the other.
- Each C2C square consists of 3 double crochets and a ch-3. The directions will only tell you what color (ie: Color A, Color B, etc…) and the number tells you how many squares to make.
- Check out the tutorial by Meghan Makes Do on how to do C2C designs if you’re unfamiliar on this technique.
- You will need to know how to change colors in a C2C for this pattern.
- Rows 1 – 15 you will be increasing and rows 16 – 29 you will be decreasing.
- The even-numbered rows are worked up and the odd-numbered rows are worked down. The odd-numbered rows are the Right Side.
- In the photos: Color A is off-white (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Linen 1.23 oz/ 60 yds), color B is copper (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Honey .4 oz/ 19 yds), color C is light green (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Dusty Green .6 oz/ 29 yds), and Color D is dark green (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Olive .5 oz/ 24 yds).
Finished product dimensions (measurements may vary by gauge and yarn used)
Approx 12″ x 12″
Graph for C2C Cactus Afghan Square
Key: Color A is white, color B is dark orange, color C is green, and color D is blue.
I plan on using the join method I used on my Concentric Squares Throw to join this new CAL, you can check it out here.
Don’t forget, you can buy an ad-free pdf of the written instructions for this pattern in my Ravelry shop or in my LoveCrafts shop (coming soon).
Tada! There it is, the C2C Cactus Afghan Square! I hope you love it and use the hashtag #DivineDebris on Instagram and I’ll share it in my stories!
5 thoughts on “Plant C2C CAL – Cactus C2C Square Free Crochet Pattern”
If I purchase the pattern, does the price cover all the squares for the cal or do you have to buy each one separately?
It will be each square separately. There will be a collection available for purchase at the end of the year.
I come to visit you from The Loop Scoop 7 where I also participate.
I like your artwork.
Thanks for sharing.
Greetings from Spain
Ok, this may be a stretch, but would you consider an alternative option and making some of the squares larger like your CAL from last year? Or am I being delusional and that is just way too much work? I’d happily pay for it too! I was hoping to make my afghan a little larger than 3′ x4′. Just a thought 🙂 I enjoy making these C2C squares so much! Thank you!
I’m not currently planning on making larger squares. But you could make it larger doubling up on some squares or making a checkerboard kind of blanket with some blank squares 🙂