Hello again! It’s another sad week here at my house, because it’s the end of October (not for any serious reason, don’t be alarmed). As I’ve said many times here on my blog and on FB/IG, October is my favorite month of the year and I love to have fun during it. I liked to infuse a little bit of the spooky season into this month’s makes, which this year includes the 2021 C2C Plants CAL and that leads me to this week’s new pattern, the Spooky Tree Afghan Square!
Now, I know what you’re thinking “this tree isn’t to scale with the other designs” and you’re right. When I was talking about these squares on social media the one suggest I kept getting for October was, “a spooky tree!” and you know what? I loved that idea from the very beginning, even if a tree wasn’t a perfect fit for the theme. Maybe we can all agree this is a particularly spooky twig. Isn’t that cute? Spooky twigs for everyone!
I do hope you’re not too worried about the logic of a tree in a plant themed crochet-a-long because I think this works well among all the other squares that have been released this year. I have so enjoyed this CAL and I’m shocked there are only 2 more squares to go! I have an idea for November and I’m thinking good and hard about December. I will have to do some Googling to find a good December one. Maybe another tree? Perhaps… one you could decorate independently. I was thinking about adding a cute little owl to this tree, to up the spooky factor a bit. We’ll see. It would be a good opportunity to use the Olga Owls pattern.
Overall I do hope you like this pattern and try it out. It’s a great intro into color changes in C2C as it’s not a lot and you can carry them for a few sts or use a bobbin, it’s up to you. I hope you have a Happy Halloween and see you in November for some new patterns 😀
I hope you all are healthy and happy and like this new design. Please be kind to one and other, wear your masks, wash your hands, and be safe friends!
Please note: I was provided the yarn for this pattern by Lion Brand Yarn for the purposes of making this design, without compensation. I wasn’t provided the yarn with the expectations of positive or negative reviews but I did enjoy using this yarn, I’ve used it many times and it’s always a great worsted acrylic yarn.
(this post contains affiliate links)
If you appreciate my weekly patterns I hope you’d consider purchasing an ad-free pdf of this pattern in my Ravelry shop.
Thank you to Juanita for becoming my newest patrons on Patreon!
12 squares (one each month)
12″ x 12″
New square will be released on the last Tuesday of each month
Graphs will be free on my blog (although there will be pdfs available for purchase for the written instructions)
Use the tag # DivineDebrisC2CPlantCAL or #DivineDebris so I can see the projects – I might share them on my social media
Where to buy the C2C Spooky Tree Square
Intermediate (must know how to C2C)
- US H (5.00 mm) crochet hook
- Size #4/ worsted/ medium weight yarn
- 2 colors
- I used Vanna’s Choice by Lion Brand Yarn
- 2.5 oz total/ 121 yds
- Specifics in the Notes
- Notions: needle, measuring tape, scissors
- 5 squares x 5 rows = 4” (blocked)
- This is a C2C pattern worked from the bottom right corner to the top left corner.
- This pattern is a square, so you don’t have to worry about increasing on one side and decreasing on the other.
- Each C2C square consists of 3 double crochets and a ch-3. The directions will only tell you what color (ie: Color A, Color B, etc…) and the number tells you how many squares to make.
- Check out the tutorial by Meghan Makes Do on how to do C2C designs if you’re unfamiliar on this technique.
- You will need to know how to change colors in a C2C for this pattern.
- Rows 1 – 15 you will be increasing and rows 16 – 29 you will be decreasing.
- The odd-numbered rows are worked up and the even-numbered rows are worked down. The even-numbered rows are the Right Side.
- In the photos: Color A is off-white (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Linen 1.15 oz/ 46 yds) and color B is brown (VC in Kelly Chocolate .15 oz/ 7.3 yds).
Finished product dimensions (measurements may vary by gauge and yarn used)
Approx 12″ x 12″
Graph for C2C Spooky Tree Square
Key: Color A is white and color B is brown.
I plan on using the join method I used on my Concentric Squares Throw to join this new CAL, you can check it out here.
Don’t forget, you can buy an ad-free pdf of the written instructions for this pattern in my Ravelry shop or in my LoveCrafts shop (coming soon).