Plant C2C CAL – C2C Seedling Afghan Square Free Crochet Pattern
Anyone else ready to say “toodles” to August? Because I definitely am and to help me say goodbye to August is the last pattern of the month and the 8th pattern in this year’s blanket CAL – the C2C Seedling Afghan Square!
Now, each month I feel a little nervous about the squares, I’m always pretty convinced no one will like them. I get that it’s probably due to the fact that theme doesn’t look right or make sense until you see all the squares together and then people kinda like it better. It happened with last year’s Coffee squares and the year before’s coffee squares (wow, I sure do love coffee). But, I’m pretty nervous about this month’s because it’s really simple… maybe too boring? But it makes sense to me, when I think about it.
So, when I was designing this month’s square I had an idea, a mum because Fall to me always means mums. It’s a classic look, ya know? But I realized mums are really more September, a true Fall month, and that a fun cartoony square like that would be perfect then. Unfortunately that left me with the dilemma of what to design for August. So I got to thinking about what’s going on, because I like to associate designs with events (it helps me find themes and connections I might not otherwise see). And with it being back to school, I led me to think of the little sprouts heading back. Can you see where I’m going with this? The seedling, the sprout here is a back to school reference! Sure, it’s not that impressive but it made sense to me 😀
Anyway, I do so hope you like it and give it a try. At the very least, it’s a quick one to add to your collection.
And don’t forget to check out last year’s 2020’s C2C Coffee CAL, 2019’s Coffee Tapestry Squares, and the 2018’s Tapestry Afghan Squares.
I hope you all are healthy and happy. Please be kind to one and other, wear your masks, wash your hands, and be safe friends!
Please note: I was provided the yarn for this pattern by Lion Brand Yarn for the purposes of making this design, without compensation. I wasn’t provided the yarn with the expectations of positive or negative reviews but I did enjoy using this yarn, I’ve used it many times and it’s always a great worsted acrylic yarn.
(this post contains affiliate links)
If you appreciate my weekly patterns I hope you’d consider purchasing an ad-free pdf of this pattern in my Ravelry shop.
Thank you to Kelly for becoming my newest patrons on Patreon!
12 squares (one each month)
12″ x 12″
New square will be released on the 4th Tuesday of each month
Graphs will be free on my blog (although there will be pdfs available for purchase for the written instructions)
Use the tag # DivineDebrisC2CPlantCAL or #DivineDebris so I can see the projects – I might share them on my social media
Where to buy the C2C Seedling Afghan Square
Intermediate (must know how to C2C)
- US H (5.00 mm) crochet hook
- Size #4/ worsted/ medium weight yarn
- 3 colors
- I used Vanna’s Choice by Lion Brand Yarn
- 2.5 oz total/ 120 yds
- Specifics in the Notes
- Notions: needle, measuring tape, scissors
- 5 squares x 5 rows = 4” (blocked)
- This is a C2C pattern worked from the bottom right corner to the top left corner.
- This pattern is a square, so you don’t have to worry about increasing on one side and decreasing on the other.
- Each C2C square consists of 3 double crochets and a ch-3. The directions will only tell you what color (ie: Color A, Color B, etc…) and the number tells you how many squares to make.
- Check out the tutorial by Meghan Makes Do on how to do C2C designs if you’re unfamiliar on this technique.
- You will need to know how to change colors in a C2C for this pattern.
- Rows 1 – 15 you will be increasing and rows 16 – 29 you will be decreasing.
- The odd-numbered rows are worked up and the even-numbered rows are worked down. The even-numbered rows are the Right Side.
- In the photos: Color A is off-white (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Linen 1.7 oz/ 83 yds), color B is brown (VC in Chocolate .3 oz/ 15 yds), and color C is green (VC in Kelly Green .45 oz/ 7.3 yds)/
Finished product dimensions (measurements may vary by gauge and yarn used)
Approx 12″ x 12″
Graph for C2C Seedling Afghan Square
Key: Color A is white, color B is brown, and color C is green.
I plan on using the join method I used on my Concentric Squares Throw to join this new CAL, you can check it out here.
Don’t forget, you can buy an ad-free pdf of the written instructions for this pattern in my Ravelry shop or in my LoveCrafts shop (coming soon).
Tada! There it is, the C2C Seedling Afghan Square! I hope you love it and use the hashtag #DivineDebris on Instagram and I’ll share it in my stories!