Delicious Desserts C2C CAL: The C2C Cupcake Afghan Square
Is it me or did January just fly by? I swear I was just wishing people a happy new year and now we’re starting this year’s CAL! Which is a good thing, because who else is super excited for all these new squares? And to kick off this year’s theme it’s a sweet treat, C2C Cupcake Afghan Square. I hope you like it!
So, if you’ve been following along on Instagram this year’s CAL theme is sweets… well it’s the 2022 Delicious Desserts C2C CAL by Divine Debris. Full of some of mine (and yours) favorite sweet snacks that I can graph convincingly in yarn. I wanted to start the year off with a bang and feature one of my favorite treats, although I will admit it’s been a while since I had one, a cupcake! This square is super simple and features 5 – 6 colors (you can use an optional 6th for the sprinkles, that’s up to you) and requires you to know how to change colors in C2C but comes together quick. I just wanted to make something that would put a smile on someone’s face. I hope I did that.
And now, for this year’s CAL you can expect 12 sweet themed squares that will be 16″ (which will make my final blanket 48″ x 64″) and each of them released on the final Tuesday of every month. I’ve got some good ideas for cookies, cakes, pies, and even a couple that might surprise you. Well, surprise and delight you because I love sweets and think they’re so cute. I mean, think of all the bright and fun colors you can make these squares in! Who won’t love that? So… If you have any sweets you’d like to see, please feel free to comment with them.
Side note: it was going to be “Sweet treats CAL” but, alas, I received an email from someone who said they were making a sweet treats CAL and they were using C2C and, the cherry on top, their first square was a cupcake. Well, that was super awkward but I had already started on mine, and I was excited about my cupcake square, so I changed the name of the CAL to keep them separate. Not to mention, the more the merrier, right? I hope we all have a fun year of sweets ahead of us.
I hope you like this year’s theme and join in using the hashtag #DeliciousDessertsC2CCAL and #DivineDebris so I can share your makes!
Want more CALs? Check out 2021’s Plant CAL here, 2020’s C2C Coffee CAL, 2019’s Coffee Tapestry Squares, and the 2018’s Tapestry Afghan Squares.
I hope you all are healthy and happy and like this new design. Please be kind to one and other, wear your masks, wash your hands, and be safe friends!
Please note: I was provided the yarn for this pattern by Lion Brand Yarn for the purposes of making the C2C Cupcake Afghan Square, without compensation. I wasn’t provided the yarn with the expectations of positive or negative reviews but I did enjoy using this yarn, I’ve used it many times and it’s always a great worsted acrylic yarn.
(this post contains affiliate links)
If you appreciate my weekly patterns I hope you’d consider purchasing an ad-free pdf of this pattern in my Ravelry shop.
Thank you to Jennifer for becoming my newest patron on Patreon!
12 squares (one each month)
16″ x 16″
New square will be released on the last Tuesday of each month
Graphs will be free on my blog (although there will be pdfs available for purchase for the written instructions)
Use the tag #DeliciousDessertsC2CCAL or #DivineDebris so I can see the projects – I might share them on my social media
Where to buy the C2C Cupcake Afghan Square
Intermediate (must know how to C2C and read a graph)
- US H (5.00 mm) crochet hook
- Size #4/ worsted/ medium weight yarn
- 5 colors
- I used Vanna’s Choice by Lion Brand Yarn
- 4.54 oz total/ 221 yds
- Specifics in the Notes
- Notions: needle, measuring tape, scissors
- 5 squares x 5 rows = 4” (blocked)
- In keeping with industry standards, the graph for this square is free here on my blog but you can purchase the written instructions here.
- This is a C2C pattern worked from the bottom right corner to the top left corner.
- This pattern is a square, so you don’t have to worry about increasing on one side and decreasing on the other.
- Each C2C block consists of 3 double crochets and a ch-3. The directions will only tell you what color (ie: Color A, Color B, etc…) and the number tells you how many blocks to make.
- Check out the tutorial by Meghan Makes Do on how to do C2C designs if you’re unfamiliar on this technique.
- You will need to know how to change colors in a C2C for this pattern.
- Rows 1 – 20 you will be increasing and rows 21 – 39 you will be decreasing.
- The even-numbered rows are worked up and the odd-numbered rows are worked down. The odd-numbered rows are the Right Side.
- In the photos: Color A is off-white (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Linen 1.3 oz/ 63 yds), color B is teal (VC in Sage 1.4 oz/ 68 yds), color C is tan (VC in Beige .2 oz/ 10 yds), color D is blue (VC in Colonial Blue .5 oz/ 24 yds), and color E is red (VC in Cranberry .14 oz/ 9 yds).
Finished product dimensions (measurements may vary by gauge and yarn used)
Approx 16″ x 16″
Graph for C2C Cupcake Afghan Square
Key: Color A is white, color B is teal, color C is tan, color D is blue, and color E is red.
Optional: using a contrasting color, cut small pieces of yarn and tie them along the blue icing section of the cupcake to create sprinkles.
I plan on using the join method I used on my Concentric Squares Throw to join this new CAL, you can check it out here.
Don’t forget, you can buy an ad-free pdf of the written instructions for this pattern in my Ravelry shop or in my LoveCrafts shop (coming soon).
Tada! There it is, the C2C Cupcake Afghan Square! I hope you love it and use the hashtag #DivineDebris on Instagram and I’ll share it in my stories!