And so August comes to a close but not before a brand new C2C square. It’s been such a fun CAL so far and I’ve had a ball making each and every one of these squares and this week’s is no different. I hope you’re ready, because this brand new this week is the C2C Strawberry Shortcake Afghan Square.
I don’t know about where you live but here in Southern California it is warm. I mean, it’s really warm (!) and honestly I don’t even want to think about turning on my oven to bake anything. But luckily there are sweet treats that require less work, like a strawberry shortcake. Although… while investigating the design I wanted to use for this square, I realized I had never had proper strawberry shortcake! When I was a kid I had the pre-made sponge, strawberry syrup, and a big ol’ serving of whipped cream, which are delicious but apparently not the best way to experience the treat. Maybe one of these days I’ll get myself a good one.
Luckily you don’t need to use an oven or even have had a strawberry shortcake made from wonderful sweet biscuits and fresh strawberries, you just need to have 6 colors of yarn and an imagination. I’m so pleased with how this square turned out. Isn’t it cute? And I had to add that tiny strawberry to the top to really drive home the “hey everyone, this is strawberry shortcake” vibes for this square. I bet a nice strawberry smoothie would be nice too this time of year. I miss strawberry season already, with it being nearly Fall (not that I’m complaining, I do love Fall).
Anyway! Sorry to get off on a tangent about yummy food or my Fall love. I hope you like this pattern and get yourself a proper strawberry shortcake and let me know how it is. What do you think for next month, a caramel apple?
I hope you like this year’s theme and join in using the hashtag #DeliciousDessertsC2CCAL and #DivineDebris so I can share your makes!
I hope you all are healthy and happy and like this new design. Please be kind to one and other, wear your masks, wash your hands, and be safe friends!
Please note: I was provided the yarn for this pattern by Lion Brand Yarn for the purposes of making the C2C Strawberry Shortcake Afghan Square, without compensation. I wasn’t provided the yarn with the expectations of positive or negative reviews but I did enjoy using this yarn, I’ve used it many times and it’s always a great worsted acrylic yarn.
(this post contains affiliate links)
If you appreciate my weekly patterns I hope you’d consider purchasing an ad-free pdf of this pattern in my Ravelry shop.
Thank you to Mandy for becoming my newest patron on Patreon!
12 squares (one each month)
16″ x 16″
New square will be released on the last Tuesday of each month
Graphs will be free on my blog (although there will be pdfs available for purchase for the written instructions)
Use the tag #DeliciousDessertsC2CCAL or #DivineDebris so I can see the projects – I might share them on my social media
Where to buy the C2C Strawberry Shortcake Afghan Square
Intermediate – must know how to C2C and read a graph
- US H (5.00 mm) crochet hook
- Size #4/ worsted/ medium weight yarn
- 6 colors
- I used Vanna’s Choice by Lion Brand Yarn
- 4.5 oz total/ 2.15 yds
- Specifics in the Notes
- Notions: yarn needle, measuring tape, scissors
- 5 squares x 5 rows = 4” (blocked)
- In keeping with industry standards, the graph for this square is free here on my blog but you can purchase the written instructions here.
- This is a C2C pattern worked from the bottom right corner to the top left corner.
- This pattern is a square, so you don’t have to worry about increasing on one side and decreasing on the other.
- Each C2C block consists of 3 double crochets and a ch-3. The directions will only tell you what color (ie: Color A, Color B, etc…) and the number tells you how many blocks to make.
- Check out the tutorial by Meghan Makes Do on how to do C2C designs if you’re unfamiliar on this technique.
- You will need to know how to change colors in a C2C for this pattern.
- Rows 1 – 20 you will be increasing and rows 21 – 39 you will be decreasing.
- The even-numbered rows are worked up and the odd-numbered rows are worked down. The odd-numbered rows are the Right Side.
- In the photos: Color A is off-white (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Linen 1.85 oz/ 90 yds), color B is tan (VC in Beige 1.19 oz/ 58 yds), color C is white (VC in White .9 oz/ 44 yds), color D is red (VC in Scarlet .33 oz/ 16 yds), color E is pink (VC in Pink Grapefruit .09 oz/ 4 yds ) and color F in green (VC in Kelly Green .06 oz/ 3 yds).
Finished product dimensions (measurements may vary by gauge and yarn used)
Approx 16″ x 16″
Graph for C2C Strawberry Shortcake Afghan Square
Key: Color A is gray, color B is tan, color C is white, color D is red, color E is pink, and color F is green.
I plan on using the join method I used on my Concentric Squares Throw to join this new CAL, you can check it out here.
Don’t forget, you can buy an ad-free pdf of the written instructions for this pattern in my Ravelry shop or in my LoveCrafts shop (coming soon).