Delicious Desserts C2C CAL: The C2C Root Beer Float Afghan Square
And here it is again, the end of April. How do we keep doing this? Ya know? Well at least to finish out the month we have something sweet, a sweet treat or a delicious dessert one might say. This week’s new free pattern is for the 4th in this year’s C2C CAL – the Root Beer Float Afghan Square.
As I’ve said before, this year’s CAL was supposed to be the “sweet treats” theme but before I could post my first square, someone contacted me saying she had a similar CAL going on (it was also named “sweet treats” and her first square was a cupcake too… what are the odds) so before I hit “publish” on that first post I had to think about a new name. And that’s why this year’s squares are more delicious treats than super fancy desserts. Although, dessert is in the eye of the fork holder, is it not?
Anyway, for this month’s square I wanted to lean into the hotter weather that’s coming our way and brought to you one of my favorite desserts from my childhood, the Root Beer Float. I have always loved the way the tangy root beer interacted with a classic creamy vanilla ice cream to make a really delicious treat that felt so refreshing to mix and drink. As research for this square I did buy a bottle of root beer and a carton of ice cream to make sure that I was really capturing the essence of this tasty treat. I think I nailed it TBH. 😀
Anyway, I do hope you like this square and check it out. I really do love how it turned out and had a lot of fun designing it. See ya in May for more new patterns 🙂
I hope you like this year’s theme and join in using the hashtag #DeliciousDessertsC2CCAL and #DivineDebris so I can share your makes!
Want more CALs? Check out 2021’s Plant CAL here, 2020’s C2C Coffee CAL, 2019’s Coffee Tapestry Squares, and the 2018’s Tapestry Afghan Squares.
I hope you all are healthy and happy and like this new design. Please be kind to one and other, wear your masks, wash your hands, and be safe friends!
Please note: I was provided the yarn for this pattern by Lion Brand Yarn for the purposes of making the C2C Root Beer Float Afghan Square, without compensation. I wasn’t provided the yarn with the expectations of positive or negative reviews but I did enjoy using this yarn, I’ve used it many times and it’s always a great worsted acrylic yarn.
(this post contains affiliate links)
If you appreciate my weekly patterns I hope you’d consider purchasing an ad-free pdf of this pattern in my Ravelry shop.
Thank you to Dana for becoming my newest patron on Patreon!
12 squares (one each month)
16″ x 16″
New square will be released on the last Tuesday of each month
Graphs will be free on my blog (although there will be pdfs available for purchase for the written instructions)
Use the tag #DeliciousDessertsC2CCAL or #DivineDebris so I can see the projects – I might share them on my social media
Where to buy the C2C Root Beer Float Afghan Square
Intermediate (must know how to C2C) and read a graph
- US H (5.00 mm) crochet hook
- Size #4/ worsted/ medium weight yarn
- 6 colors
- I used Vanna’s Choice by Lion Brand Yarn
- 4.54 oz total/ 2.14 yds
- Specifics in the Notes
- Notions: needle, measuring tape, scissors
- 5 squares x 5 rows = 4” (blocked)
- In keeping with industry standards, the graph for this square is free here on my blog but you can purchase the written instructions here.
- This is a C2C pattern worked from the bottom right corner to the top left corner.
- This pattern is a square, so you don’t have to worry about increasing on one side and decreasing on the other.
- Each C2C block consists of 3 double crochets and a ch-3. The directions will only tell you what color (ie: Color A, Color B, etc…) and the number tells you how many blocks to make.
- Check out the tutorial by Meghan Makes Do on how to do C2C designs if you’re unfamiliar on this technique.
- You will need to know how to change colors in a C2C for this pattern.
- Rows 1 – 20 you will be increasing and rows 21 – 39 you will be decreasing.
- The even-numbered rows are worked up and the odd-numbered rows are worked down. The odd-numbered rows are the Right Side.
- In the photos: Color A is off-white (Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice in Linen 1.3 oz/ 63 yds), color B is silver (VC in Silver Grey 1.4 oz/ 68 yds), color C is brown (VC in Chocolate 1 oz/ 48 yds), color D is tan (VC in Beige 1 oz/ 48 yds), color E is red (VC in Scarlet .14 oz/ 4 yds), color D is white (VC in White .05 oz/ 2.4 yds).
Finished product dimensions (measurements may vary by gauge and yarn used)
Approx 16″ x 16″
Graph for C2C Root Beer Float Afghan Square
Key: Color A is off-white, color B is silver, color C is brown, color D is tan, color E is red, and color F is white.
I plan on using the join method I used on my Concentric Squares Throw to join this new CAL, you can check it out here.
Don’t forget, you can buy an ad-free pdf of the written instructions for this pattern in my Ravelry shop or in my LoveCrafts shop (coming soon).
Tada! There it is, the C2C Root Beer Float Afghan Square! I hope you love it and use the hashtag #DivineDebris on Instagram and I’ll share it in my stories!
2 thoughts on “Delicious Desserts C2C CAL: The C2C Root Beer Float Afghan Square”
Thank you for sharing this pattern
I hope I haven’t missed any of the other ones
There is a link above to the previous 3 squares in this CAL. I hope you enjoy this CAL 🙂