Hi everyone! Can you believe the day is finally here, the new CAL is starting! And this year we’re starting with bang, with the C2C Steaming Coffee Cup Afghan Square.
This year’s CAL is going to be all about C2C, which is brand new to me. Prior to this design I had never made a C2C before and I must admit, I was rather nervous but that excited kind of nervous that makes you ready to take on the world (or maybe that’s just me). So I went Googling and found some lovely designers who had instructions on how to do a proper C2C (including color changes). I recommend Meghan Makes Do‘s tutorials on how to learn to do a C2C if you’re looking to make this square and haven’t done C2C before. It’s really a lot easier than I thought.
As I’ve said with the previous 2019 TSAP and 2018 TSAP, if you can do basic stitches you can do these patterns. This project is just double crochet and chains, you can do that, right? Don’t be nervous, even though I just admitted I was, to try out this new pattern. If it’s new or something you’re unsure of, take it slow. Just do a couple rows at a time and before long you’ll get the hang of it.
Now I debated on whether or not to include the pattern written here or just in the pdf. Following industry standards, I decided to have the written instructions in the pdf only and below is the graph. If you find you’d rather have the instructions written out for you, I do hope you’ll purchase the pdf.
Anyway, I hope you’re excited to join me in this year’s new CAL! I’ve got some ideas on how to update last year’s designs and add some new personality to the finished blanket. Also, did you see how big this square is? the final blanket is going to be so so cozy! I hope it turns out as good as the image in my head (which is what I think every time I make a pattern).
(this post contains affiliate links)
Thank you Carolyn for becoming my newest patron on Patreon!
2020 Coffee C2C Afghan Square CAL or #DivineDebrisC2CCoffeeCAL
12 squares (one a month)
23″ x 23″
New square will be released on the 4th Tuesday of each month
Graphs will be free on my blog (although there will be pdfs available for purchase for the written instructions)
Use the tag # DivineDebrisC2CCoffeeCAL or #DivineDebris so I can see the projects – I might share them on my social media
- US G (4.00 mm) crochet hook
- Size #4/ worsted/ medium weight yarn
- 3 colors
- I used Lion Brand Yarn Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling
- Specifics in the Notes
- Notions: needle, measuring tape, scissors
- 7 squares x 7 rows = 4.5”
- This is a C2C pattern worked from the bottom right corner to the top left corner.
- This pattern is a square, so you don’t have to worry about increasing on one side and decreasing on the other.
- Each C2C square consists of 3 double crochets and a ch-3. The directions will only tell you what color (ie: Color A, Color B, etc…) and the number tells you how many squares to make.
- Check out the tutorial by Meghan Makes Do on how to do C2C designs if you’re unfamiliar on this technique.
- You will need to know how to change colors in a C2C for this pattern.
- Rows 1 – 36 you will be increasing and rows 37 – 71 you will be decreasing.
- The even numbered rows are worked down and the odd numbered rows are worked up. The even numbered rows are the Right Side.
- In the photos: Color A is cream (Lion Brand Yarn Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling in Ecru 6 oz/ 317 yds), color B is blue (Lion Brand Yarn Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling in Turquoise Heather 4 oz/ 211 yds), and color C is brown (Lion Brand Yarn Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling in Taupe Heather .5 oz/ 26 yds).
Finished product dimensions (measurements may vary by gauge and yarn used)
Approx 23″ x 23″
Graph for C2C Steaming Coffee Cup Afghan Square
Colors in the graph: Color A is white, color B is blue, and color C is brown.
At this time I haven’t decided how I want to join all the squares, so feel free to drop a comment below if you’d have any advice. I might add a border to the squares later or maybe just sew them together. Who knows!