Another week, another heart design, right? 😉 Who’s still loving Valentine’s Day designs? I’m still making them… although I think I might be done for now. I’ve got fun Spring ideas coming up so I think this might be my last official “Valentine’s Day” design.
I hope you’re enjoying my designs and giving them a try. I really do try to make them fun, interesting, and exciting to make every week. If you ever have any problems, please do not hesitate to say something or comment with it. I’m always willing to help.
Have a great week, I’ll be back next week with another design that I hope you’re going to love!
You can get an ad-free downloadable pdf, which includes a graph, of this pattern in my Ravelry shop for $1.00.
- US G (4.00) mm crochet hook
- Worsted weight/ size #4/ medium weight yarn
- 1.50 Oz/ 73 yards
- I used Sugar and Cream yarn for this (4 – 5 colors)
- For hot pads or pot holders, use cotton yarn because acrylic will burn/ melt
- Yarn needle
- 17 rows x 16 scs = 4″
- RS: right side
- Ch: chain
- St: stitch
- Slip st: slip stitch
- Sc: single crochet
- This pattern is worked back and forth in rows, with a turn at the end/ beginning.
- You work two pieces of the “base” and then secure them together by working along the edges with row 30.
- The ch 1 at the beginning of the row does not count as a stitch.
- This pattern is worked from the bottom up.
- All of the stitches in this pattern are single crochets, because of this the sides portion (where all the color changes are) only tells you how many stitches to do in what color, this is what the number in the parenthesis means.
- Rather than changing, cutting, and weaving in the ends of all the colors, the colors A yarn is carried in the photos. Here’s a great tutorial on color changes. In this pattern, the active yarn is worked over the inactive. I drop the other colors when they’re not in use.
- Also check out this post about tapestry crochet from Moogly, it’s helpful.
- You can replace the chain row with a foundation single crochet row.
- Color A: is white, Color B: is the various colors for the hearts, and Color C: is orange.
- Height: 7.25″
- Width: 7.5″
(RS) Row 1: Ch 30, sc into the second ch from the hook and across – 29 scs
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc across – 29 scs
Row 3: A: Ch 1, turn, (6), B: (1), A: (15), B: (1), A: (6) – 29 scs
Row 4: A: Ch 1, turn, (5), B: (3), A: (13), B: (3), A: (5) – 29 scs
Row 5: A: Ch 1, turn, (4), B: (5), A: (11), B: (5), A: (4) – 29 scs
Row 6: A: Ch 1, turn, (3), B: (7), A: (9), B: (7), A: (3) – 29 scs
Row 7: A: Ch 1, turn, (2), B: (9), A: (7), B: (9), A: (2) – 29 scs
Row 8: A: Ch 1, turn, (3), B: (3), A: (1), B: (3), A: (9), B: (3), A: (1), B: (3), A: (3) – 29 scs
Row 9: A: Ch 1, turn, (4), B: (1), A: (3), B: (1), A: (11), B: (1), A: (3), B: (1), A: (4) – 29 scs
Fasten off color B.
Rows 10 – 11: A: Ch 1, turn (29) – 29 scs
Rows 12 – 18: repeat rows 3 – 9
Rows 19 – 20: repeat rows 10 – 11
Rows 21 – 27: repeat rows 3 – 9
Rows 28 – 29: repeat rows 10 – 11
Fasten off both colors, weave in all your ends.
– Border –
Place both of your bases together, with the “wrong” sides facing each other, and create a border around them (securing them together) by working row 30 through both pieces.
Row 30: (in any color): Begin in the first st of row 29 with the RS facing you, create a slip knot on your hook, sc into the first st and into the next 28 sts, ch 15 at the corner (your loop), rotate the piece, sc down the row ends (29), ch 1 at the corner,rotate the piece, sc across the original ch row (29) scs, ch 1 at the corner, rotate the piece, sc down the row ends (29), ch 1 at the corner, rotate the piece, slip st into the first st to secure – 116 scs
Fasten off, weave in your ends.
Tada! There it is. I hope you like this design. I wanted to make something Valentine’s Day themed like the Candy Corn Hod Pad I designed last fall… maybe I’ll make it a reoccurring theme for holidays!