Happy February! Can you believe that it’s hearts and chocolates season already? Well if you’re a big fan, love to decorate, and can’t wait for this time of year all year long… well do I have a pattern for you. It’s this week’s new Cute Hearts Wall Hanging. I thought it’d be nice to throw out a nice and fun crochet pattern that will help you work on your color changing skills and if it’s perfect for Valentine’s Day, isn’t that great?
With each row only having 2 colors in it, this design is perfect to practice color changes with. You can set up bobbins or just keep the yarn attached to the skein (which is how I worked this up) and just change colors as you go across the row, picking up the new color and dropping the not in use color. I didn’t carry any yarn throughout this pattern but you can if you’d prefer. It’s always about what makes you comfortable when you’re working something up. Ya know?
And just in case you need Valentine’s Day goodness, I have lots of fun patterns here: check them out. It’s not my favorite holiday but any time I get to eat lots of candy, I’m usually a big fan. Ooh, or maybe a cupcake would be nice. Ya know? A rich dark chocolate one. Now I’m making myself hungry. Share in the comments your favorite way to celebrate Valentine’s Day 😀
Anyway, I hope you like this pattern and give it a try. Color work is not has intimidating as it looks, it’s all about the fun 😀
Please wear and wash your masks and be kind to each other.
Please note: I was provided the yarn for this pattern by Lion Brand Yarn for the purposes of designing the Cute Hearts Wall Hanging crochet pattern, without compensation. I wasn’t provided the yarn with the expectations of positive or negative reviews but I always enjoy using this yarn, I’ve used it many times and it’s durable and colorful worsted weight yarn. If you purchase yarn through any of the links in this post, I will be compensated.
Copyright @ Divine Debris 2022. No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without prior written permission from the author. Sales of finished products are permitted, but the designer requests that you link back to the pattern and credit Divine Debris with the original design under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please contact email@example.com.
(this post contains affiliate links)
If you appreciate my weekly patterns I hope you’d consider purchasing an ad-free pdf of this pattern in my Ravelry shop and Lovecrafts shop!
Thank you Dina for becoming my newest patron on Patreon!
Where to purchase the Cute Hearts Wall Hanging crochet pattern
Intermediate (need to know how to read a graph and do color work)
- US G (4.00 mm) crochet hook
- Worsted weight/ size #4 yarn
- 3 colors
- All colors: less than 1 oz/ 53 yds
- I used Basic Stitch by Lion Brand Yarn (color details in the Notes)
- Notions: scissors, measuring tape, yarn needle
- Wooden dowel/ stick (more than 9” across)
- 18 sc x 20 rows = 4” (blocked)
Terms/ Stitches used
- Ch: Chain
- St: Stitch
- Sc: Single crochet
- RS: Right side
- Sc2tog: Sc 2 sts together
- As is industry standard, this pattern is just a free graph and not written instructions but you can purchase the pattern for a fee in my Ravelry shop.
- This pattern is worked in 4 sections: the Body (where the hearts are), the Triangle at the bottom, the Top/Hanging where it’s connected to the stick, and the Tassel (which is optional).
- The odd-numbered rows are the RS.
- The ch 1 at the beginning of the rows does not count as a stitch.
- This Body portion of the pattern pattern is worked in all sc and is the graph below.
- This pattern doesn’t require you to carry the yarn, just use bobbins where necessary and change colors on the last pull through of the sc.
- For row 1 you can do a Foundation sc if you’d prefer.
- In the photos: color A is white (Basic Stitch by Lion Brand Yarn in White), color B is pink (Basic Stitch in Prism), and color C is red (Basic Stitch in Red Heather)
Blocked Finished Product Details (approx)
|10.5”||6.75” – 7”|
Cute Hearts Wall Hanging Pattern Graph
Key: color A is white, color B is pink, and color C is red.
Row 36: A: From where you left off on Row 35, ch 1, turn, sc around the wooden dowel/ stick and into Row 35 across — 31 sc
Row 37: Ch 50, skip the entire row, slip st into the first st of Row 36 — 1 ch-50 space
Fasten off, weave in your ends.
With color A, flip the Body of your wall hanging around so you’re working into the other side of Row 1 with the RS facing you. Create a slipknot on your hook so your first st is a standing sc.
Row 1: Sc into the next 31 sts of the other side of Row 1 of the Body – 31 sc
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc into the first st, sc2tog the next 2 sts, sc across until 3 sts remain, sc2tog the next 2 sts, sc into the last st – 29 sc
Rows 3 – 14: repeat row 2 until 5 sts remain.
Row 15: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog the first 2 sts, sc into the next st, sc2tog the last 2 sts – 3 sc
Row 16: Ch 1, turn, sc into the first st, ch 1, skip the next st, sc into the last st – 2 sc
Fasten off, weave in your ends. Block this section.
Cut 4 8” pieces of yarn each color. Then loop them through the ch-1 space left on Row 16 of the Triangle section and tie a piece of color A around them to secure.