Hello again! Doesn’t it feel like yesterday was Tuesday? Time just flies when you crochet, right? 😀
This week I’ve got another new tapestry crochet design, a bookmark. This is actually my first bookmark design, which is weird because I’m a huge fan of books. I read all the time and it might be my favorite thing other than crochet… if only I could read and crochet together! I’m not good with books on tape while I’m designing though, too much distraction on both sides, I end up not paying attention to the book or the pattern and that just can’t happen, right? Anyway, I do hope you like this design!
Another new development is that I’m going to be offering a paid ad-free pdf of of this pattern in my Ravelry and Craftsy shops of my free patterns. I’m doing this because it’s going to keep able to creating free patterns week after week. These patterns will be the same as what you see here, unless there is a graph or additional photos I might chose to include. They will not be priced at the level that I normally price my paid patterns, as I’m trying to make them as manageable as possible. I’m going to be working on pdfs of past patterns and I hope to have them available here and there in the next couple of months. Thank you for understanding.
Intermediate (need to know how to read a graph and do color work)
- 2.25 mm steel crochet hook
- Size 10 crochet thread
- Not even an oz
- I used Aunt Lydia‘s
- At least 2 colors (I used 4 different colors)
- Needle to weave in your ends
- 1″ x 1″ = 10 scs x 10 rows
Terms/ Stitches used
- RS: Right side
- Ch: Chain
- Slip st: Slip stitch
- St: Stitch
- Sc: Single crochet
- This pattern is worked in 2 sections, the main piece and a single crochet border.
- This pattern is worked from the bottom up.
- The active thread work over the inactive thread when graphing, dropping the thread when it’s not in use. As you use it, just pick it up and pull it to where you need it and crochet over the thread.
- This pattern is worked in rows, back and forth, with a turn at the beginning or end.
- All of the stitches in this pattern are single crochets, because of this the instruction (where all the color changes are) only tells you how many stitches to do in what color, this is what the number in the parentheses means.
- The ch 1 at the beginning of the row does not count as a stitch.
- Please note that the “S” is one row larger than the other letters.
- Color A is cream, color B is teal, color C is royal blue, and color D is light blue.
- You need to know how to create a slip knot on your hook for this pattern.
Books Bookmark Crochet Pattern Finished measurements
- Length: just over 6.25″
- Width: 1.5″
Books Bookmark Crochet Pattern Instructions
Row 1: A: Ch 14, sc into the second ch from the hook and into the next 12 sts – 13 scs
(in any color) Create a slip knot on your hook and begin in the first st of row 60 (this makes sure the front of the sc on the border is facing the right side), sc across the top of the bookmark (13 scs), ch 1 at the corner, rotate the whole piece to the right, sc down the row ends (60), ch 1 at the corner, rotate the whole piece to the right, sc across the original ch row (13), ch 1 at the corner, sc down the row ends (60), ch 1 at the corner, slip st into the first st to secure – 146 scs
Fasten off, weave in your ends.
Tada! There it is! I hope you like this design. 😀