I was out at a store at the mall near me and I cam across this mug cozy that looked this but it was cloth and I wanted to make it crochet. Seriously, I was standing there looking at this thing wrapped around a bottle of lotion and thought, “this would look SO CUTE in tapestry!” and here we are. I went home, graphed it out and started on it as soon as I could. This is also a great and quick pattern, I finished it in under and hour. Fun enough, make this in green instead of red and BAM you’ve got a St. Paddy’s cozy.
- US G (4.00 mm) crochet hook
- Worsted/ medium/ size #4 weight yarn
- .8 oz. / 42 yards
- I used Red Heart Super Saver
- Yarn needle
- 4″ x 4″ = 16 scs x 16 rows
- RS: right side (side that faces out)
- Ch: chain
- St: stitch
- Slip st: slip stitch
- Sc: single crochet
- This pattern is worked in the round, with a slip st into the first st from the last st.
- The ch 1 at the beginning of the row does not count as a stitch.
- You can replace the first row with a foundation single crochet row if you’d like to.
- Following the first row, sc into the back loop only.
- If you don’t work this pattern in the back loop only, it might end up leaning. You can block the finished item to make it lean less.
- This pattern is worked from the bottom up
- All of the stitches in this pattern are single crochets, because of this the sides portion (where all the color changes are) only tells you how many stitches to do in what color, this is what the number in the parenthesis means.
- Color A is white, color B is red, color C is yellow/gold and color D is black in the photos.
- Also check out this post about tapestry crochet from Moogly, it’s helpful.
- Height: 4.25″
- Diameter: 4.5″
Row 1: A: Ch 38, slip st to form a circle (do not twist this ch), ch 1, sc into each st around – 38 scs
Fasten off color A.
Rows 2 – 3: B: Ch 1, sc into to each st around – 38 scs
- Every row of the sides are worked into the back loop only.
- Every stitch in the sides portion of the pattern is a single crochet, because of this the directions only tell you what color (ie: Color A, Color B, etc…) and the number in the parentheses then tells you how many single crochets to make.
- Following the ch 1, the first st is worked into the same st as join.
Rows 4 – 5: B: Ch 1, (13), C: (12), B: (13), slip st into the first st to secure – 38 scs
Fasten off color B.
Rows 6 – 9: D: Ch 1, (13), C: (2), D: (8), C: (2), D: (13), slip st into the first st to secure – 38 scs
Fasten off color D.
Rows 10 – 11: B: Ch 1, (13), C: (12), B: (13), slip st into the first st to secure – 38 scs
Fasten off color C.
Rows 12 – 13: B: Ch 1, sc into to each st around – 38 scs
Fasten off color B.
Row 14: A: Ch 1, sc into to each st around – 38 scs
Fasten off color A, weave in all your ends.
I hope you like this pattern and make tons of them!
Take care, see you next week!
This post is linked to the Linky Ladies Community Link Party #80.